Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year, New You- Following through with your New Years Resolutions

I would be willing to bet, every year at least 90 % of Americans make New years resolutions. With the year winding down it’s time to get ready to act on these resolutions. We all have the intentions of following through with them, but it is so easy to lose sight of the changes you intend to make. Here are some suggestions on following thru with your New Years Resolutions: 
1. Make Realistic Resolutions- Don’t expect to become a millionaire in a year, or lose 100 lbs, or become a vegetarian over night. Make measurable, realistic resolutions. For example- The 3 aforementioned “goals” are kind of my resolutions- I’d like to save more money, get into better shape, and eat more healthy. So instead of having exact expectations of your resolution, just generalize what you’d like to achieve. 
2. Claim it- Speak of your resolutions as if you have already acheived them. Instead of saying- "my new years resolution's are to get rich, and lose weight....,' Say "Since it is a new year, I am getting rich, and losing weight." You have to think positive and already claim that you are aceheiving your resolutions. The key to getting anything accomplished is believing you can do it. What better way to believe than speaking as if it is already achieved.  
3. Share Them- I’ve been seeing posts on social media making fun of people who are making resolutions this year-Ignore them. I bet those people are at a stand still in life and have no drive or plans for their future. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I don’t want to be in the same position in my life next year. Sharing your resolution will allow you to be accountable for your words. It will motivate you to want to achieve what you say you are going to do.
4. Keep your Eye on the prize- Keep your written resolutions where your can see them. It will be a constant reminder that you WILL reach your goals. I personally will be making a pretty framed list of my resolutions and placing it on my dresser, that way every time I get ready, I will be remininded of my resolutions.
5. Keep a Journal- I know journals are very cliché and kind of weird. I used to keep a journal when I was younger and write EVERYTHING in it.. I stopped because one time I left it at a friend’s house after a sleepover and I know they read it. LOL! I was so embarrassed, although my friend never brung it up. Not only that, I know my mom and brother used to always read it too. But if you make the journal specific to your resolutions. It shouldn’t be embarrassing ;-). I'd suggest writing every month highlighting what you've done to contribute to your resolution. This will allow you to track your progress, while keeping your eye on the prize. Please share with me your resolutions below in the comments! I'd like to see what everyone is wanting to change. Mine are- 
Eat healthier by Meal Prepping
Excercise more 
Follow a strict budget
 Read more books 
 Strengthen my religious beliefs.
Lets make 2014 better than 2013! 
Xoxo,
Joia

No comments: